After two days of non-stop sewing, frozen pizza dinners and sinks-full of dirty dishes we’ve finally finished Louisa’s Steampunk skirt.
For the most part we made up the pattern ourselves and added details we liked from other Steampunk designers, as well as historical photographs. We were greatly influenced by the styles of the Edwardian period, as you can probably tell. The main fabric is a midweight brown linen with a very subtle woven stripe. A green on green patterned cotton was used for the trim fabric. Louisa chose some buttons from my collection- no two the same, but all sharing a sage green shade to match the bias trim. Two tiny ones; one glass and the other faded wood, are stitched at the top of the two front pleats.
And two larger; one bakelite and the other horn bring together the fastening at the back. And speaking of the fastening, we were in a bit of a muddle to find a way to fit this skirt to Louisa’s rapidly shrinking figure. If we made it to fit her waistline now, it would be too big by next month, and unwearable by autumn. The natural solution was elastic, but that just didn’t fit with the image we wanted. In the end we did use an elastic backwaist, but hid it underneath these buttoned flaps. As Louisa’s size decreases, the buttons can be moved closer and closer together. The elasticized portion merely looks like a gathered panel behind a box pleat.
As she loses weight, the hem will gradually come closer to the floor, and the back will form an ever-so-slight slight train.
I tried a new-for-me hem treatment with this project: facings. I love how they allow the bottom of the skirt to hang so perfectly, and even with the trim coming right to the hem there is a crisp clean edge. I love that. What I did not love however, is the time it took for me to hand finish this fourteen foot long hemline. In fact, for once I am happy to put the needle and thread away and tackle something different for a few hours.
Like maybe those dishes in the sink.